Why will this be a great opportunity for you?
- £30k salary
- Accommodation provided
- 4.5 day week
- Structured support program, including 10 day external CPD
- No on-call after 10pm
- 12-month contract
On completion of this program, we guarantee you will be a better-skilled general practice vet.
We will have given you the opportunity for:
- development of competent surgical skills for basic first opinion procedures
- having the confidence to work independently
- proving your ability to deal with the uncertainties of case management
- meeting and networking with a wider community within our profession
- a thorough understanding of the role and enjoyment being a GP SA vet
We are a proudly independent practice giving a quality service to a varied caseload thanks to a great team with shared values. VetGDP registered and member of XLVets.
You will be a proactive individual looking to continue learning and growing your skills, and with this, our program will bring mutual development to us both.
About the work and our facilities
We aim for excellent customer service and practice to a high clinical standard, so invest in staff, facilities and equipment to meet these evolving targets.
We have a truly mixed clientele and a rewarding and varied caseload. Being the vet for our local charity brings its own variety of work and significant neutering volume.
We are a nurse training practice, and while yet to put ourselves through the RCVS PSS scheme set ourselves the aim to be of a hospital level (without being on-site overnight) at our main site in Haverfordwest, and Tier 2 at the Pembroke Dock branch. We have achieved ISFM cat-friendly status: gold in Haverfordwest and bronze in Pembroke Dock.
Haverfordwest has four consulting rooms, plus a dedicated cat room, and quiet room. Separate dog, cat and isolation wards. Central prep room leading to two theatres, dental room and X-ray. Our lab room has the latest suite of kit for haematology, biochemistry and urinalysis from IDEXX. We have digital Xray, digital dental Xray, gastroscope, 4mm bronchoscopy/rhinoscope, ultrasound with colour doppler, ECG, MMP TTA etc.
The Pembroke Dock branch has two consulting rooms, prep with recovery kennels, theatre, and main inpatient ward.
About the job, CPD, and about you
As a keen graduate wanting to learn you will bring enthusiasm and a working ethic to a team looking to support and encourage your progression during this initial phase of your career.
An exceptional 10 days of arranged external CPD, you will be enrolled on the XLVets New Graduate Development Programme, giving access and support from a wider network, and attend the congresses for BSAVA in Manchester.
There will also be in house training and guidance through the VetGDP.
Designed as a 12-month role to expand our veterinary team and give you commitment-free options on completion: i) spread your wings to new places or ii) explore other roles in the veterinary profession, or iii) we hope you'll want to join us for longer! It is your choice!
About the practice
Fenton Vets are a proudly independent, Pembrokeshire based practice that can trace its origins back to 1950.
We serve both pets and farms via separate clinical teams, with a constantly growing staff of approximately 50, we really value staff wellbeing, and think this can be illustrated by the various members of staff staying for several decades.
We are an active member of XLVets as we feel there are real benefits to our staff and business from participating within this community of independent practices with a common culture and values.
About the location
Pembrokeshire is a gem for anyone loving the outdoors and the coast in particular. Words cannot really do it justice so if you haven’t experienced it before, come and visit for a few days, use us as your tourist guide, and see for yourself why we are all so happy to live here.
About the package
- Days: 4.5days per week (including the weeks when you work at the weekend)
- Hours: 8.30am-5.30pm unless on call when consulting finishes at 6.30pm.
- OOH: this is an equally shared rota, with two vets doing consults on Saturday, and one on Sunday doing emergency work only. The nurses work a similar rota and are available to help as needed
- An answerphone service takes the phones passing on messages as necessary, after 10pm all calls are dealt with by our local OOH service.
- Each weekend day is counted as one of your full days that week.
- Holidays: 4 weeks plus bank holidays, plus a reduced rota over the Christmas period.
- Salary and Perks
- £30k salary
- Accommodation: own room in shared practice house, provided. No rent or house hunting.
- CPD as above
- VDS paid
About contacting us
If you are interested or have further questions, please contact April on 01437 762 806, email@example.com